Is it necessary for you to take in vitamin supplement pills? “My grandpa and grandma is still very healthy while there is no any vitamin supplements in the market back in their time.” We have a short answer for you: For normal cases, NOT NECESSARY.
Why is it not necessary?
There is no need to take vitamin supplements for most people since they should be able to get all the vitamins at adequate amount from a healthy, balanced diet.
Science fact for today: Vitamins are good, BUT they can be harmful when there are too much of them.
When is it necessary anyway?
Ministry of Health Malaysia recommends you to check with your doctor or dieticians if you think you need to take supplement. Only certain groups of people under the risk of having vitamin deficiency are in need for vitamin supplements.
Alright then, what are the groups in need of these?
- Pregnant women.They are recommended to have at least 400 mg of folic acid daily before and during pregnancy to prevent birth defects, if those taken from the diet is not enough.
- Newborns, infants and toddlers.They are recommended to take in vitamin A, C and D supplements as a precaution that they may not get enough of the vitamins, particularly those who are picky eaters.
- Sun deprived. Those who don’t often exposed to the sun or cover up almost all part of their skin are recommended to take in vitamin D supplements.
- Elderly. Elder people tend to have vitamin B12deficiency and requires the respective supplement.
- Vegans. Since they don’t eat animal products or animal-based products like meat and milk, they are at risk of being deficient in vitamin B12. But they can take vitamin B12from fortified food also.
Spread the knowledge
There are many people out there taking vitamin supplements while they are already having enough vitamin. If you could spread this to people around you, you can save them from vitamin toxicity (but this rarely happens) and of course their wallet!
- Jamiliah Ahmad, Surainee Wahab, Munawara Pardi and Azlinda Hamid. (2011, September 6). VITAMIN, MINERAL & SUPPLEMENTS. Retrieved 7 November 2019, from http://www.myhealth.gov.my/en/vitamin-mineral-a-supplements/
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. (n.d.). Is There Really Any Benefit to Multivitamins?Retrieved 7 November 2019, from https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/is-there-really-any-benefit-to-multivitamins
- (2018, Jun 26). Do I need vitamin supplements?.Retrieved 7 November 2019, from https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/do-i-need-vitamin-supplements/
- Shawn, R. (2013, December 19). 3 Groups Who Really Can Benefit from Vitamin Supplements. Retrieved 7 November 2019, from https://www.healthline.com/health-news/food-three-groups-who-can-benefit-from-vitamins-121913#1
- https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/background”>Background vector created by macrovector – www.freepik.com